|Gross weight :
|120.00 x 25.00 x 7.50 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
|84 passengers, 28 vehicles
Benelon was one of the fleet of four smaller vehicular ferries that
generally operated between Dawes Point and Milsons Point. She was a
close sister to Barangaroo.
Benelon is sometimes spelt (mistakenly) as Benelong.
She was substantially rebuilt and modernised in 1916. This allowed
Sydney Ferries to keep her operating in an increasingly busy
market - the four small ferries worked non-stop carrying traffic across
the harbour and there were simply not enough of them to do the job.
She was sunk in a collision in 1923 and was returned to service very
quickly as demand was increasing rapidly prior to the construction of
the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Her final fate is unknown, but likely she was (similar to many other
sold off after the bridge opened and the need for vehicular ferries
disappeared literally overnight.