|Steel screw steamer
|Gross weight :
|58.00 x 9.00 x 3.25 (metres)
|Passenger capacity :
Binngarra was the first ferry of the so-called 'B' class of ferries
built by Mort's Dock between 1905 & 1922. Her yard number was 31.
Binngarra (later known as Bingarra, although PJ&MSS Co always had
her under the original spelling) was the first ferry to be developed
from Walter Reeks' design of the double-ended Kuring-gai. Unlike
Kuring-gai, her bridges were placed at opposite ends of the ship
(bridges on the Kuring-gai were fore & aft of the funnel), thus
making her the first traditional Manly ferry.
In 25 years of service, she carried more than 30 million passengers in
98,279 trips to & from Manly.
Sold in 1933, her engines were removed & she was hulked & taken
to Port Stephens for use as a timber store ship. In World War II,
the US Navy aquired her & towed her to New Guinea for use as a
store ship, ultimately she was returned to Sydney where she was
eventually scuttled of the Heads.
Binngarra suffered from relatively few accidents during her career - in
1908, she managed to overshoot her berth at Circular Quay & plowed
into the footpath, she'd already done this previously on the 1st of
November, 1905. In the first incident, she managed to gouge a large
hole in the roadway & was eventually towed out by the big
paddlewheeler, Brighton. Oddly enough, a few days later, Kuring-gai
managed to wedge herself in the same hole, Brighton again came to the
On the 31st of January, 1927, Binngarra collided with the coastal
passenger steamer Lady Isobel off Bradleys Head, damage was
minimal & there were no injuries. Although the master of the
Binngarra was ultimately at fault because the ferry was travelling at
an excessive speed, he was not punished as he had an exemplary record.
One year later on the 29th of February, Binngarra suffered steering
problems during peak hour at Circular Quay. Although the area was very
busy, fortunately she only managed to scrape one other ferry (the
Kurraba) & no damage was caused to either vessel.
She was taken out of service in 1930 and scuttled of the Heads on 11th