|Smith and Rogers
|144 tons/161 tons after 1856
|140.00 x 16.40 x 8.00 (feet)
146.40 x 17.10 x 8.00 (feet) after 1856
|Passenger capacity :
Breadalbane was one of the early general purpose ships operating on the
harbour. Variously, her duties included operating as a ferry and a
tug. In 1856 she was lengthened to 44.6 metres and her weight
increased to 161 tons.
She was one of the earlier steel hulled vessels to work the harbour,
with a timber superstructure and a high clipper bow.
Between 1853 and 1856 she worked out of Williamstown in Melbourne as
both a ferry and a tug. After being sold, she was lengthened and
taken to Brisbane were she worked until 1862 when in November of that
year, she travelled to Sydney. Arriving on the 30th of November, she
received extensive modifications and began her Manly service on the
1st of December, 1862.
Described as a roomy and fast boat, she operated as a running mate
for the Phantom.
Along with the Royal Alfred and the Phantom, she formed the backbone
of the Manly fleet until the arrival in 1878 of the Fairlight. Between
1878 and 1882 she was used as a spare boat and a tug.
In 1883 she was broken up and her remains lie buried under reclaimed
land that made up Hudson's Timberyard at Blackwattle Bay in Glebe.