|Wooden steam ship
|R Young & Son
|Gross weight :
|110.00 x 22.00 x 8.10 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
Bronzewing was the largest single ended ferry to run on Sydney Harbour.
As built, she had an open top deck but by the time she entered service
in 1901 this was glassed in to provide more comfort to her passengers.
At the time, she was also the fastest vessel on the Parramatta River
Bronzewing was originally owned by Parramatta River Steamers &
Tramway Co Ltd. She was transferred to Sydney Ferries Limited when that
company bought out her former owners.
Bronzewing was nearly lost on April 4th, 1927 to fire. She was tied up
at Five Dock in tandem with the Una & the Rose when those two
vessels caught fire & burnt out. Fortunately one of Bronzewing's
deckhands was sleeping on board at the time and managed to move the
ferry and put out the fires on board before any major damage was done.
Bronzewing was broken up in 1931.