|J T Eltringham
South Shields, England
|67 tons/91 tons after 1853
|36.85 x 6.30 (metres)
|Passenger capacity :
Commodore was an iron paddlewheel steamer built as the first new
vessel of the Port Jackson Steamboat Company.
She mainly worked as a tug but operated as a weekend excursion boat for
the Manly trade and also as a spare boat. During this time she worked
with the other ships of the Port Jackson Steamboat Company;
Irresistible, Emu and Port Jackson. All had similar roles.
Ultimately she was sold to J and A Brown of Newcastle in 1898. Under
her new owners, she worked both Sydney and Newcastle harbours as a
tug until the late 1920s. She is commonly regarded as Australia's last
ocean going paddle tug.
Commodore was scuttled off Newcastle in 1931 having been laid up since
Commodore now rests on sand in 36 meters of water. The bow area can be
made out and has been reduced to sand level. The stern is a little more
intact with the rudder lying alongside the sternpost. A large scotch
boiler lies central in the hull.