|Wooden steam ship
Berry's Bay, NSW
|81.00 x 18.00 x 9.50 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
Conqueror was a single screw wooden steamer. Her name indicates the
hopes her owner had for the new vessel.
By 1892 passenger traffic to Manly was booming and the dominant
player was the Port Jackson Steamship Company. The company at this
stage was charging one shilling and sixpence for a return trip and
decided to announce a fare increase, obviously feeling that the market
could handle the rise. Locals were outraged. A local tug owner by the
name of John Brown set up a competing service, Manly Co-operative Steam
Ferry Company and used Cygnet, Admiral, Conqueror and Marramarra
(Murra Murra) to take on the dominant player. This was the time when
competition was so fierce that competing ferry crews took to throwing
rocks and other missiles at other ferries to discourage passengers
from boarding them.
Fares were lowered by both companies to sixpence return and droves of
passengers took advantage of the cheap fares. Mr Brown ordered another
new ferry, to be called Manly, but the company collapsed in 1895 before
she could be delivered. By this time, fares were down to threepence
return. As a result, in 1896, both companies amalgamated to form the
Port Jackson Co-operative Steamship Company.
Conqueror, being much smaller than the other boats on the run (for
example, Brighton) was sold out of service to a gentleman by the name
of Wallace. She worked around the harbour until 1916 when she was
bought by the New Sales Wales government for use as a tug. She later
went to South Australia.
She was hulked in 1932.