|A and J Inglis
|170.80 x 22.10 x 5.10 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
Emu II was one of the numerous early vessels that were built overseas
but assembled in Australia (in this case, in Brisbane).
From 1865 to 1877 she operated with the Queensland Steam Navigation
Company between Ipswich and Brisbane as a cargo vessel. After the
opening of the railway line between the two towns, her owners sold her
to the Port Jackson Steamboat Company. They renamed her Brightside and
between 1877 and 1891 she was one of the mainstays of the
trade. However, due to her shallow draught and relatively slow speed
she was not really suitable for her new role. By 1891 she was mainly
being used as a spare boat.
On the evening of the 24th of February 1885 at around 11.20pm Emu was
leaving her berth at Circular Quay when she struck and sank the inner
harbour ferry Waratah. Fortunately no passengers were hurt and Waratah
In 1897 she sank at her mooring at Neutral Bay.
In 1902 she was retired from passenger service and worked as a cargo
vessel to Manly until gutted by fire in 1908. The next year she was
broken up and her engines were
sold to a sawmill on the New South Wales south coast.