|36.94 x 6.43 (metres)
|Passenger capacity :
Goolwa was one of the Manly vessels that was built as a tug and
primarily operated in that role. She was an iron paddlewheel steamer
that came to Australia under her own power. It wasn't unusual for this
type of vessel to divert while carrying passengers to escort one of the
sailing ships waiting outside of the Heads.
Goolwa was originally constructed for an Adelaide tug company who sold
her in 1867 to Thomas Heselton in Sydney. In January of 1868 she was in
service as a ferry and tug working alongside Phantom and
Breadalbane. In 1873 she was superseded by the arrival of the Royal
Alfred and was laid up for three years.
In 1876 she was sold to the Newcastle Co-operative Steam Tug Company.
Under their ownership she joined a fleet of tugs and ferries that
were used in opposition to the Port Jackson company on Sydney Harbour.
She remained in this role for the next twenty years. In 1898 she was
sold to another company operated by John Brown who kept her in her
existing role until 1905. In that year she was taken to Newcastle where
she operated as a tug until 1919.
In 1919 she sank at her moorings in the Hunter River at Hexham. She was
raised and moved onto the river bank where she was left. The remains
of her hull are still there.