|74.70 x 12.80 x 5.70 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
Herald was one of the early
locally built iron paddlewheel steamers. She operated over most of the
harbour, picking up business wherever it was available. As was normal
at this time she operated as a tug, ferry, excursion boat and cargo
Herald was initially used on the fledgling North Shore route between
Dawes Point and Blues Point. however, there was not enough traffic to
make her financially viable so she would often detour en-route to
perform tug duties - passengers were required to wait.
By 1873 Herald was working to Mosman Bay and Neutral Bay in a somewhat
irregular weekday timetable.
In the late 1870s and early 1880s she ran as an excursion boat to
and like many others, a tug.
She blew up while waiting for a sailing ship outside the Heads on April