|Wooden steam ship
|David Drake Ltd
|Gross weight :
|152.00 x 33.00 x 10.60 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
Kaikai was one of the early so-called 'K' class vessels so typical of
the inner harbour ferry fleet.
Being one of the medium sized ferries, she managed to avoid the fate of
many of her sisters who were sold off after the opening of the Sydney
Harbour Bridge in 1932.
Along with Kuttabul & Kulgoa, she was modified in 1935 with a
flying bridge. This was done to allow the ferries to follow the harbour
yacht races; the flying bridge gave the captain height to see above
the large crowds that packed the ferries out on the race days.
Kaikai was the first Sydney ferry to be enlisted into active service in
World War 2. Between 1940 and 1942 she was hired to the Royal
Australian Navy for use as an accomodation vessel. The navy purchased
her in March of 1943.
At the end of the war she was laid up, aging and redundant. She was
sold to the breakers on 2/06/1947 and broken up shortly thereafter.
Kaikai is sometimes misspelt as Kai Kai.