|Steel screw steamer
|Mort's Dock & Engineering
|Gross weight :
|149.20 x 31.70 x 10.90 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
|13 knots/11 knots after 1959
Kanangra was an identical sister ship to Kirawa. Unlike her sister, she
survived to be converted to diesel in 1959 (the last of the inner
harbour ferries to be converted).
Kanangra was the last of the larger traditional inner harbour ferries.
She was mainly used on the more heavily patronised runs such as
Cockatoo Island. Late in her career she could be found running to
Mosman and Taronga Zoo.
She was withdrawn from service in 1985 along with the other remnants of
the harbour fleet after the sinking of the Karrabee. She was donated to
. She was the last traditional inner harbour ferry
operating and today is the last of these types of vessel remaining on
the harbour in substantially original form.
Kanangra spent some time at Darling Harbour (in the berth now occupied
by the South Steyne) before being moved to Rozelle Bay for a long,
drawn out restoration. More than 20 years after being retired she has
still not been fully restored though work continues.