|Steel screw steamer
|Morts Dock & Engineering Co
|Gross weight :
|149.20 x 31.70 x 10.90 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
Kirawa was one of two identical sister ships - the other being
Kanangra. By the early 1950's the two sisters were the largest inner
harbour ferries still in regular use.
Both sister ships survived the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in
1932 and the subsequent downturn in traffic. Kirawa was able to remain
in service as the Great Depression bit in and people were unable to
afford their own modes of transport. World War II also gave the
remaining ferries a further lease on life. Fuel was rationed and
expensive but the coal required by these vessels was cheap and
But Kirawa's time was limited. In 1951 the NSW state government took
over Sydney Ferries Ltd and handed control of the fleet over to a
subsidiary of the Port Jackson & Manly Steamship Company. This
subsidiary (the Sydney Harbour Trust Board) rationalised the ferry
service and severely culled the remaining ferries. A number of the last
coal burners were being converted to diesel but unfortunately Kirawa
was bypassed - she was laid up at the time in need of a new boiler.
There was also no need for two large ferries so Kirawa was sold to be
broken up in 1953.