|Wooden screw steamer
|David Drake Ltd
|Gross weight :
|156.50 x 33.20 x 12.30 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
The first five years of the second decade of the twentieth century saw
huge increase in the number of passengers wishing to cross the harbour.
This period saw Sydney Ferries Ltd grow into the largest ferry operator
anywhere in the world. To cope with the large number of passengers the
company commissioned the building of a large number of very similar
ships - the so-called K class. Kuramia was one of the later ferries of
this class and one of the biggest.
Kuramia was withdrawn from service shortly after the opening of the
Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932 (a particularly bad year for the ferries
of Sydney). Her engines were sold in 1940 and the ferry herself was
requisitioned for naval use in 1942. A year later the government bought
her off Sydney Ferries. For a few months after the end of World War II
she remained in use as a dormitory and amenities ship finally being
paid off in December of 1945.
She remained laid up in the Navy's mothball fleet until 1953 when
aircraft from the carrier HMAS Sydney sank her for target practice.