|Steel screw steamer
|Gross weight :
|52.00 x 9.00 (metres)
|Passenger capacity :
Five years after the Manly was launched, a new, similar ship slid into
the harbour to begin her career from the yards of Mort's. She was the
first steel hulled double-ended 'traditional' Manly Ferry, although her
bridges were placed to either side of the funnel, rather than fore
& aft as was done in the 'B' class ferries. For the first time, a
Manly ferry had gangway exits on both upper & lower decks & was
fitted with twin lifeboats.
She gave PJCSC & PJ&MSC 27 years of service, only being retired
with the arrival of the new fast twins Dee Why & Curl Curl.
In 1928 she was sold to Newcastle Ferries Limited where she carried
passengers to Walsh Island Dockyard & did runs up & down the
Hunter River to Raymond Terrace. As well, she ran excursion trips to
Broughton Island & Port Stephens.
During World War II, the US navy purchased her as a hulk & had her
towed to New Guinea for use as a store ship, similar to the role
Binngarra had also played. At the end of the war, she was towed back
& moored at Hexham (on the Hunter River) in 1945, where she
eventually sank. Her remains can still be seen there today.
After her launch, Kuring-gai won instant acclaim for the quality of her
passenger accomodation - polished timbers throughout, mirrors &
electric lights. Kuring-gai set the standard & pattern of later
vessels that was not altered much until the arrival of Dee Why, Curl
Curl & South Steyne.
Kuring-gai had one accident, in 1905, when she overshot the wharf at
Circular Quay & buried herself in a large hole that the Binngarra
had carved out four days earlier. She was freed by the paddlewheeler,
Kuring-gai is sometimes spelt as Kuringai or Kuring Gai. Neither of
these spellings appear in the Port Jackson company's records.