Native Rose





Native Rose

Type :
Wooden motor vessel
Launched  :
unknown
Builder :
unknown
unknown
Gross weight :
unknown
Dimensions :
unknown
Passenger capacity :
unknown
Speed :
unknown

Native Rose was a tiny vessel that was operated by the Upper Lane Cove River Ferry Service.

The company commenced operations in 1908 with three boats - Native Rose, Killara and one other (un-named). These little boats could more accurately be described as launches.

During the week they took isolated passengers from around a dozen private wharves on the river to the city. On weekends they serviced the tourist trade, particularly to 'Fairyland' on the banks of the Lane Cove River.

The early part of the last century saw the Lane Cove River begin to silt up. This was to bring about the end of this small ferry service as the river became progressively more difficult to navigate. By 1918 the service closed and it wasn't until 1976 that a similar service was re-established on the river after a weir was built that raised the water level.


Navigation