|Wooden screw steamer
|Gross weight :
|110.40 x 21.00 x 8.00 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
Pheasant was built for and originally operated by Phillip Walker under
the auspices of the Parramatta River Steamers and Tramway Company Ltd.
Along with her running mates Cygnet, Gannet & Halcyon she ran from
the city to the tram terminus at Parrmatta. Once there, her passengers
needed to swap to the steam tram owned by the company for the two mile
trip to Parramatta. The period of the late 1890's until 1917 when
Sydney Ferries Ltd bought out the company was perhaps the halcyon era
for the Parramatta service. After 1917 with the river silting up and
competition from trams and rail saw a decline in the profitability of
She was one of the oddest looking ferries in Sydney with three decks on
varying levels. Reports from the day indicate that she was slow and
uncomfortable and was somewhat less than popular with her passengers.
In 1913 she was laid up and her engines were sold to be placed into the
new Karrabee. Her engines are now on display at the Powherhouse Museum
The following year she was stripped of her passenger accomodation and
converted into a lighter. She remained in this role until 1928.
There are no further records of her after 1928.