|Wooden screw steamer
Hunters Hill, NSW
|Gross weight :
|80.50 x 22.40 x 7.80 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
The second vessel to bear the name Rose was built by the Joubert family
for their Lane Cove River operations. She was the second last new ferry
for that service.
With the consolidation of the Balmain & Parramatta River companies
in the late 1890's she went to the Balmain New Ferry Company and
remained servicing the Lane Cove environs.
In 1917 BNFC sold out to Sydney Ferries Ltd. The new company cut back
many of the Parrramatta and Lane Cove River services, however, Rose
remained due to her relatively large capacity and young age.
On the evening of April 4th, 1927 she was tied up at Balmain along with
Una and the big river ferry Bronzewing. A fire started aboard Una and
quickly spread to the other two ferries. Bronzewing was saved but the
other two vessels were destroyed.