|Gross weight :
|20.66 x 3.60 (metres)
|Passenger capacity :
|Between 50 & 80
The Brothers was the first ferry between Manly & Sydney. She was a
wooden paddlewheeler. There are some discrepancies in both her naming
& description. Some sources call her 'Brothers', others say 'The
Brothers'. Passenger capacity was anywhere between 50 & 80.
Irregardless, in 1848 she commenced the first regular run to Manly
& the rest was history. She was chartered in 1853 by Henry
Gilbert Smith, an early landowner in the Manly district to bring new
settlers to the area. Prior to then, passengers wishing to get from
Manly to Sydney had to travel overland to Balgowlah where a small boat
took them to balmoral. From Balmoral there was another overland trip to
Milsons Point. Quite a trip for the fifty or so people that lived in
The Brothers ran the trip three times a week for a fare of threepence
return. In 1858 she was joined by the Phantom & with her, the
history of the Manly ferries really began.
Her hulk was broken up in Port Stephens in 1886.