The Lady Mary
|Wooden screw steamer
Berry's Bay, NSW
|Gross weight :
|83.50 x 22.30 x 7.20 (feet)
|Passenger capacity :
In the early 1890's competition in the Balmain area saw a new company,
the Balmain New Ferry Company, enter the market in competition against
the established Balmain Steam Ferry Company.
The new company immediately placed an order for two new ships that were
to be the fore-runners of the vessels that would dominate the harbour
in the first few decades of the twentieth century. The Lady Mary and
Lady Napier were both innovative vessels that featured many of the
characteristics that would come to be associated with the classic image
of a Sydney ferry. Their design was based on work done by the naval
architect Sir Walter Reeks.
The Lady Mary operated in the Balmain area until 1928 when Sydney
Ferries Ltd announced cut backs on the route due to increased
competition from trams and the new motor omnibuses then entering
She was sold in 1934 and ended her remaining days as a rather run-down
Her fnal fate is unknown.
She is sometimes (incorrectly) named as 'Lady Mary'.