Waringa





Waringa

Type :
Wooden steam ship
Launched  :
1894
Builder :
Dunn Brothers
Berry's Bay, NSW
Gross weight :
125 tons
Dimensions :
105.70 x 21.90 x 7.90 (feet)
Passenger capacity :
588
Speed :
unknown

The story of the Waringa is very similar to that of the Wallaroo. Like the Wallaroo, she was rebuilt in 1913, the alterations being significant enough that she was basically a new ship. She was relaunched with the new name of Karaga.

Karaga ran the last Lavender Bay to Circular Quay service for Sydney Ferries in October 1932. The route was soon taken over by Hegarty's Ferries who defended their new territory when SFL realised the mistake they'd made.

Along with the Wallaroo, she was requisitioned and sold to the Royal Australian Navy in 1943. There are no records of her disposal (like the Wallaroo).


Navigation